This is a huge honor for our students and especially our teachers! They have worked hard for over two years to transform education in their classrooms, and the Indiana Department of Education is recognizing all that hard work. Only 12 schools were certified this year in part due to a new, harder rubric. But our teachers rose to the challenge! See the press release below for more details. And yes, we plan to celebrate in a big way when we are able!
The Indiana Department of Education Announces the Number of STEM Certified Schools Continues to Climb
Thursday, May 7, 2020
INDIANAPOLIS – The Indiana Department of Education (IDOE) today announced additional Indiana schools are now certified in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). With an increase of over 16 percent, the total of Indiana STEM Certified schools is now 90.
“Creating environments whereby students are immersed in STEM activities is a priority for Indiana schools,” said State Superintendent Dr. Jennifer McCormick. “I am grateful for the student-focused passion exemplified by our STEM Certified schools and commend our 2020 schools for furthering Indiana’s dedication to STEM.”
Created in 2015, the STEM Certified Schools program recognizes schools focused on a commitment to teaching STEM disciplines beyond the classroom. STEM Certified schools exemplify a highly non-traditional approach to education, employing a great deal of inquiry, project-based learning, community engagement, entrepreneurship, student centered classrooms, integration into humanities and related arts, and out-of-school STEM activities. STEM Certified schools take this approach while following educational policies set by the state and excelling under the system of accountability. Prior to certification, each school completed a rigorous application and review process.
The following is a list of 2020 STEM Certified schools:
- Eminence Community School Corporation – Eminence Elementary
- Medora Community School Corporation – Medora Elementary
- MSD Lawrence Township – Crestview Elementary
- MSD Lawrence Township – Forest Glen Elementary
- MSD Lawrence Township – Oaklandon Elementary
- New Castle Community School Corporation – Parker Elementary
- Penn-Harris-Madison School Corporation – Elm Road Elementary
- South Dearborn Community School Corporation – Aurora Elementary
- Tell City-Troy Township School Corporation – William Tell Elementary
- Warsaw Community Schools – Claypool Elementary
- Warsaw Community Schools – Jefferson Elementary
- Warsaw Community Schools – Madison Elementary
To view a complete list of Indiana STEM Certified schools, please visit: www.doe.in.gov/wf-stem/indianas-stem-certified-schools. For more information on IDOE’s efforts to increase STEM education across the state, please visit: www.doe.in.gov/wf-stem/indiana-stem-education-science-technology-enginee….